lunes, 14 de septiembre de 2009

Self-esteem or arrogance? What is the limit?


When I think of Victor Frankenstein I start thinking about myself. In occasions, I have felt I can do whatever I want; whenever I wish, just because, and without any other reason that just feed my ego. Victor Frankenstein believed he was untouchable. He thought he was invincible and that the power of his own mind could achieve everything. But he was wrong, he just played to be God, he tried to change the course of the nature and he lost his battle against it.

Sometimes I have felt in the same way Victor Frankenstein did when he believed in the almighty power of his mind. I have caught myself with thoughts like “I can do this, it is very easy” when I have been faced with very difficult situations. But, how far am I from the reality? Is this feeling of “I can do it” real and healthy? Is my self-esteem alright or it is something very different? Like arrogance, for example.

Arrogance makes people thing they are superior when they are not. It makes people think that they can do everything just because they are better than others. Was Victor Frankenstein arrogant? Or was he just very self-confident?

I just hope not be almost dying for realizing my mistakes just like Victor did. I hope it was not too late for regretting all what I have done wrong in my life.